The moon is a truly wondrous thing, full of magnificence and splendor, and she is just waiting and wishing for more of us to utilize her incredible energy!
The energy from the moon is very powerful and learning how to connect with the phases that the moon goes through can be deeply profound and enriching.
The moon has a powerful effect on the oceans, the crops and our moods, so by working with it and harnessing it’s power during the specific phases can really help you to manifest new opportunities and release old energy and negativity.
By working with each phase and it’s energy, you can reap the rewards of great change in your life, and just like the moon cycle, the steps to completion of a goal or intention is a cycle as well, working alongside the moons powerful energy.
The moon also teaches us that nothing lasts forever.
Everything is cycle that starts with an intention to begin a project , manifest it and then release it, making way for the cycle to start again.
We learn to embrace change, to go with the flow, to acknowledge blockages within our lives and ultimately to trust in the universe.
The growth of the waxing moon welcomes new energy and growth, whereas the waning moon releases and lets go.
The moon take about one month to complete her cycle, and as she goes through her different phases from birth to completion, so do we who connect with her energy, and apply the rhythm to our own lives.
You may have noticed I am referring to the moon as a ‘her’
This is because the moon is alive with feminine energy, being known as the Moon Goddess, but having different names in different cultures and religions. Her relationship with the sun is vitally important, as it’s this relationship that helps her go through her cycle.
Because of her feminine energy, the Sun is said to be the holder of masculine energy and this balanced relationship of Moon and Sun (God and Goddess) is what many witches harness energy from.
For many women, there is a deep connection to the moon and many women feel the Moon affects their menstrual cycle as well. This is very clear to see especially since as we women complete an estimated 28 day menstrual cycle, the moon also completes her estimated 28 day lunar phase.
The Moon Phases
Each Phase has it’s own strengths and energy. The different shapes that we see from earth, change each time the moon goes into one of her eight phases. These visible shapes (with the exception of the new moon which is invisible from earth) all depend on the orbital position of the moon in relationship to the sun. So to put it more simply, a phase is the angle of how the moon looks from earth.
The Lunar Phase can be a shortened version of just the four main phases or a long version of all eight phases. The four main phases of the moon are when significant change happens, whereas the other four phases which are in between the main ones only experience a slight shift in their energy and appearance.
Some witches practice the nine phases, which includes the Dark Moon as being the final phase.
The two most powerful moon phases are the New Moon and the Full Moon, and some people only do rituals at these times. At the end of the day, it really is up to you to choose what and how you celebrate the moon phases.
The Four Main Phases in the Lunar Cycle are:
- New Moon
- First Quarter (AKA: half moon)
- Full Moon
- Last Quarter (AKA: Third Quarter) (AKA: half moon)
The Full Eight Phases in the Lunar Cycle are:
- New Moon
- Waxing Crescent
- First Quarter (AKA: half moon)
- Waxing Gibbous
- Full Moon
- Waning Gibbous
- Last Quarter (AKA: Third Quarter) (AKA: half moon)
- Waning Crescent
As the picture above shows, the cycle begins at the New Moon and ends at the Waning Crescent.
How to Use the Moon Phases For Manifesting a Goal
Before we go any further, it is very important to know that there are many different ideas and ways for celebrating the Lunar Cycle, and because we are working with intent and energy, there really is no wrong or right way. As long as your intention is pure and you have no ill desires in your heart, then you are good to go.
You can source many different kinds of rituals for specific phases, or for a specific goal. You can even get rituals for a moon phase than will coincide with one of the eight sabbats,
There are also ways to work in the zodiac signs, and there is really just so much information on the moon, that we could go on and on forever. So really use google as your resource here or one of many pagan or wiccan books.
The Four Phase Version:
- New Moon – This is when the new Lunar cycle begins. This is the time to prepare your vision. It’s your new beginning to start afresh. It’s a clean slate. This is perfect time to do some powerful intention setting, start something new and plant new seeds in the crops. Write your intention or goal down. If you have a few goals that you want to achieve, it is best to focus on one.
- First Quarter – By the time the First Quarter or Half Moon arrives, you should be pro-active in helping your goal to come to fruition. It is important to be aware that some challenges may be met here. A good example of this would be finding a job. If this was your goal or intention, then you should be actively seeking out jobs and applying for interviews.
- Full Moon – The Full Moon is the time where we get to see our intention or goal coming to fruition. Celebrate it! However, please remember that sometimes, goals manifests in a way that you may not have anticipated, or perhaps not even at all. Your job is to simply embrace what has manifested, and assess what has or has not happened so far. If you have not manifested as you had hoped for, acknowledge any blockages that may have stood in the way, and learn the lessons attached. This is also a good time to release anything that no longer serves you.
- Last Quarter – Here we are analyzing the process of manifestation that has unfolded, no matter how they have turned out. We are embracing the process of the cycle that we have just completed, no matter how it turned out, and we are releasing everything!
The Eight Phase Version:
- New Moon – This is when the new Lunar cycle begins. This is the time to prepare your vision. It’s your new beginning to start afresh. It’s a clean slate. This is perfect time to do some powerful intention setting, start something new and plant new seeds in the crops.
- Waxing Crescent – Intention setting is still very important here, but you are going to now affirm it. Do this by writing your intention or goal down and announcing it out loud. You are going to make the commitment to your intentions. Just like the Law of Attraction teaches us, you are going to envision yourself as having manifested your goal already.
- First Quarter – This is the time to act on your intentions physically. Take action to make your goal manifest. It is important to be aware that some challenges may be met here.
- Waxing Gibbous – You may find that there are some challenges to deal with round about this time. Perhaps you have changed your mind about your end goal or circumstances beyond our control have put a spanner in the works. The waxing Gibbous Phase reminds us to acknowledge this challenges and make changes where we are guided to do so or where we feel will be in our own best interests. This is a time to simply trust the process, keep going and surrender to the universe.
- Full Moon – The Full Moon is the time where we get to see our intention or goal coming to fruition. However, please remember that sometimes, goals manifests in a way that you may not have anticipated, or perhaps not even at all. Your job is to simply embrace what has manifested, and assess what has or has not happened so far. If you have not manifested as you had hoped for, acknowledge any blockages that may have stood in the way. Be gentle with these blockages, they are there to teach you valuable lessons.
- Waning Gibbous – Here we are focusing on the lessons from any blockages that we may have encountered. Embrace them, accept them and be grateful for the lessons learnt.
- Last Quarter – This phase is also known as the Third Quarter. Prepare to review your entire journey during this cycle, no matter how good or bad it turned out. Be aware that your goal may still be manifesting and may be slow. If this is the case, leave it in the universe’s hands.
- Waning Crescent – Release everything completely and let it go. Clear your mind in preparation for the new Lunar Cycle.
To connect with the moon and her energy is a very personal experience and everyone feels differently and may do different things during their rituals.
The above cycles are only general guideline as to what you can do when wanting to set an intention or if you have a goal in mind.
The important thing to remember everything is intention and energy, so ultimately, you need to feel what you are doing and do what is right for you.
Of course, you needn’t even use the entire cycle. Sometimes, you can utilize a specific phase for a specific issue or project:
- The full moon is an incredible time for also charging crystals, charms and amulets.
- It can also be used for releasing any negativity.
- People also use it for increasing positivity and celebrations.
- The new moon is used by moon circles every month, where people (mainly women) gather in a group and meditate with the new moons energy.
A Simple and Easy Ritual for the New Moon
- Clear your space and home of clutter.
- Use a white sage smudge stick or incense and smudge your house and space. You want to invite clean positive energy into your life, so a clean space is vital.
- Take a detox bath with Epsom salts.
- Sit down in a cleared space and light a white candle. Meditate and clear your mind first and then focus on setting your intention.
- You may choose to write down your goals or intentions, or reserve this for the waxing crescent phase.
A Simple and Easy Ritual for the Full Moon
This is a ritual that my husband and I do sometimes at the full moon when we want to let go of or release something.
- Clear the space you intend to sit in with a smudge stick.
- Clear your mind and focus on what you want to get rid of. Envision letting go of it.
- Write it down and then burn it as a symbol of complete release.
What is Blood Moon, Dark Moon, Super Moon and Blue Moon?
Blood Moon: This is the moon during a Lunar Eclipse. A Lunar eclipse is when the Earth goes between the Sun and Moon. When this happens the sunlight is blocked by Earth, and is causes a shadow on the Moon.
It’s color is red and although it varies, Blood Moons occur about twice every three years.
Dark Moon (AKA: Black moon): This is when there is no visible moon in the sky. It last one – three days depending on where you live. It occurs at the end of the waning moon and the beginning of the waxing moon. However, it is not uncommon to hear people using ‘Dark Moon’ and ‘New Moon’ interchangeably, because it is technically during Dark or New Moon, the Moon is still lined up exactly with the Earth and Sun. Some witches will include Dark Moon in their rituals, and then wait for a small speck of visible Moon to celebrate ‘New Moon’ whereas others just use the two terms interchangeably and celebrate New Moon on a invisible Moon. For this reason, many Lunar calender’s don’t make mention of the Dark Moon at all.
Super Moon: This is when the Moon appears larger and brighter than usual and is when it’s at it’s closest to the Earth.
Blue Moon: This refers to a second full moon in a month. usually there is only one full moon a month. Blue Moon are rare and the last one we had was in March 2018, hence the saying ‘Once in a Blue Moon’. Despite what people may think, the Moon is also not Blue in color at this time! A Moon that has a blue tinge to it is extremely rare and is usually from pollution and dust particles in the air.